When going away on holiday Essex Police have 5 tips to deter burglars and keep your home safe this summer.
Homes with no security measures in place are five times more likely to be burgled than those with simple security measures. Good window locks and strong deadlocks can make a big difference.
When going on holiday make your home look like someone is living in it, here are 5 top tips from Essex Police:
- Use automatic timer-switches to turn your lights and radios on when it goes dark.
- Cancel any newspaper or milk deliveries.
- Use the Royal Mail’s ‘keepsafe’ service – they keep your mail for up to 2 months while you’re away. Mail sitting on your doorstep is a sign that you are away.
- Trusted neighbours may be able to help you by collecting your post, opening and closing curtains and they could park their car on your driveway.
- Avoid discussing holiday plans on public social networking sites – burglars can use any information you post on there to their advantage.
For all non-emergency police enquiries or to contact your local police station when it’s less urgent than a 999 call, call the non-emergency police number: 101
Essex Police website: https://www.essex.police.uk